I meet with couple’s weekly to discuss their wedding plans or their wedding dreams and while I love spending time and sharing my knowledge there are a few basic tips I share often so I thought why not share them here?
- Budget should be a sacred cow. In other words, commit to and protect your budget as long as its realistic.
- Cut the guest list to make your budget stretch further.
- If you plan a long engagement, say 2 years or more go ahead and find your perfect venue, book it and then stop all planning until you are 1 year away. Planning a wedding longer than a year is just too draining both financially and emotionally. Trust me on this.
- Consider an unconventional ceremony time and reception. Why not an 11:00 AM ceremony then an afternoon luncheon say on a boat or in a garden. I guarantee your guests will remember your wedding.
- Nothing says you have to plan a long engagement. I can plan a wedding in a matter of weeks or even days if needed. Options might be limited but if time is of the essence or you just don’t want to wait, it can be done.
- Can’t please all the people all the time; consider a destination wedding. There are many planners who specialize in destination weddings and who know the ins and outs of exotic locations.
- If you are planning a destination wedding you might have to legally get married at home then have a symbolic ceremony in your dream location. Countries like France require a 40 day residency to legally marry which is virtually impossible for most couples.
This is just a sampling of some of the suggestions experienced wedding planners can offer.